Tuesday, 7 March 2023, 12:30-13:30 CET
WHO/Europe, together with the WHO Country Office in Ukraine and the Ministry of Health of Ukraine are hosting a public event highlighting people’s rehabilitation needs, disability inclusion and the use of assistive technology in the context of the health response to the ongoing war.
Data gathered in 2019 showed that half of the Ukrainian population needed some form of rehabilitation, mostly linked to the country’s high burden of noncommunicable diseases. The pandemic from 2020 and the onset of war from 2022 have dramatically increased the need for appropriate and timely rehabilitation services.
WHO continues to deliver life-saving medical supplies and provide rehabilitation and assistive technology services across Ukraine amid attacks on civilian and critical infrastructure. Besides targeted interventions, WHO is working closely with the relevant ministries and the Office of the President of Ukraine to achieve rapid systemic changes through policy work.
The high-level event will address the work of WHO related to law, policy and service provision in the context of war, WHO’s rehabilitation, assistive technology and disability inclusion strategy, as well as our collaborations with organizations and key ministries.
List of participants includes:
- Iulliia Sokolovska, Deputy Head of the Office of the President of Ukraine
- Dr. Viktor Liashko, Minister of Health of Ukraine
- Dr. Jarno Habicht, WHO Representative in Ukraine, Head of WHO Country Office in Ukraine
- Dr. Volodymyr Golyk, National Professional Officer, Disability and Rehabilitation, WHO Country Office in Ukraine
- Dr. Satish Mishra, Technical Officer, Disability, Rehabilitation, Palliative and long-term Care, WHO Regional Office for Europe
- Dr. Cathal Morgan, Technical Officer, Disability, Rehabilitation, Assistive Technology, WHO Regional Office for Europe
- Marlee Elizabeth Quinn, Regional Advisor (Disability Inclusion and Rehabilitation in Emergencies), WHO Regional Office for Europe
- Tatiana Baryshok, Physical therapist, Khortytsya National Rehabilitation Academy, Ukrainian Association of Physical therapists.
- Aasish Ranjan, Project coordinator of Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Project.
The event will be livestreamed via Zoom on 7 March, at 12:30-13:30 CET.
Simultaneous interpretation will be provided in Ukrainian, Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish.
Journalists wishing to attend can use this link:
For media queries, please contact:
WHO Ukraine Country Office: Rayyan Sabet Parry firstname.lastname@example.org
WHO/Europe Press Office: email@example.com